Tuesday 26 May 2015

Anxiety Journal | My experience with hypnotherapy.


So my anxiety related posts always seem to be written in the spur of the moment and I guess I just have to be in the right place mentally to write them as just writing about my anxieties could trigger it. 

Today I'm going to be talking mainly about my experience with hypnotherapy and where I'm currently at with my anxiety. If you havn't read my original anxiety post I suggest you read it to give you a bit of back story on my anxiety, you can read it here

So back in February I decided to take the plunge and start hypnotherapy sessions. My uncle had previously had hypno to help him stop smoking and it's been really successful for him therefore I made contact with the same hypnotherapist. She was really nice and told me that hypno lends itself well to treating and coping with anxiety. I was really excited to start my sessions as at this point I was willing to try anything. 

I really had no idea of what to expect from hypnotherapy and all I'd seen is the stereotypical stuff on t.v. where they have a swinging watch and use an activating word. Well let me tell you straight of the bat it's nothing like that! It's actually infuriating that that is people's perception of it and I almost wish it was like what you see on t.v. . 

Overall I have to say it is one of the most relaxing things you can do! It can help in subjects such as having trouble sleeping to eating the wrong kinds of foods! So basically we started off going through what I know triggers my anxiety and what I want to get out of the sessions and from there she could tailor them. 
During the sessions she put on really relaxing music and I sat in a very nice comfy chair. She then started to talk in a very soothing tone. What she talked about differed from session to session and often initially seemed to have nothing to do with my anxiety( but obviously it does link somehow). 90% of the time I just sat there and did nothing but focus on my breathing when instructed. When I came out of my first session I felt so relaxed and lets just say it's a good thing my mum could drive me home because I felt like I'd just had a nap on a cloud! 
So like I said there was no specific word that would relax you but it was all about thinking up a relaxing place and getting into that peaceful mindset. 

In total I had about 6 sessions and yes it was expensive. However if you struggle with anxiety you know that you are willing to do or try anything to help with it. So for me it was a no brainer to spend that every 2-3 weeks for a session. Personally I wouldn't say that I'm cured or that it's made a huge impact on my day to day life. However I havn't yet been on a plane since the sessions and that it what we focused most of our time on therefore I don't know how effective it would be. I have now finished my sessions and would probably go for a couple nearer the time of our holiday just to touch base and re focus. 
I wouldn't not recommend hypnotherapy as every experience and individual problem is different however I don't think mine was as successful as maybe my uncles was.

So now whats next?
Well the main thing I've started doing just this past week is I saw a doctor to talk about starting some medication. Now I'm not ashamed to say that I'm now taking drugs for my anxiety because at the end of the day if it helps me live day to day then I'm all for it. We both agreed that I was sensible and went through counselling and hypno before resorting to medication and I just feel this was the natural next step to take. Since talking openly about my anxiety I have had many family friends tell me how they or someone they know has taken tablets for their anxiety or day to day battles. So far I can't really comment on my medication as it's too early on to say if it helps or not. 
I also want to look int CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help further change the way my mind thinks. 
Leave me a comment or message me privately if you've ever gone through hypnotherapy or have taken medication for anxiety/panic attacks as I'd love to share experiences. As always if you need someone to talk about your anxiety or anything else going on in your life I'm more than happy to listen as I'm a big believer in getting things off of your chest and not letting it build up inside you.

Until next time, Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment